Founded in 1894, the NSCDA-NC is a non-profit 501(c)3 corporation dedicated to promoting an appreciation for the people, places and events that led to the formation and development of our nation. The Society’s threefold mission is as follows:
The Society owns four historic properties:
- The Burgwin-Wright House and Gardens, circa 1770, Wilmington, NC
- The Joel Lane Museum House, circa 1769, Raleigh, NC
- Haywood Hall, circa 1790, Raleigh, NC
- The Fourth House, circa 1768, Old Salem, NC
NC Dames also have saved and provide financial support to other historic properties, such as Rosedale Plantation in Charlotte, NC and the Oval Ballroom in Fayetteville, NC. In addition, the NC Society and individual members support Gunston Hall, Dumbarton House and Sulgrave Manor.
The NC Society's museum houses play an important role in fulfilling its educational mission by offering guided tours to the public and hosting educational programs.
NC Dames have erected plaques and monuments throughout the state to commemorate important events and individuals. Read more about monuments...
The Society also funds a variety of scholarships. Read more about scholarships...
Over the decades, NC Dames have fulfilled their mission of patriotic service through diverse means. One of the Society's very first undertakings was to furnish an ambulance ship during the 1898 Spanish American War. During World War I, NC Dames contributed to the War Relief effort by making bandages and dressings, donating garments and other necessities for troops and even purchasing an ambulance for the Aviation Corp in France. Support to the war effort included the purchase of war bonds and monetary contributions to various relief funds and to the Hospital Ship Fund. During World War II, the Dames rallied with equal fervor and in similar ways. In addition, the Society's Headquarters, the Burgwin-Wright House was occupied by the Coast Guard during the summer 1943 and was used as a recreational facility club for officers of the armed forces from 1944-45.
Today, the NC Dames support our troops through contributions of toiletries and comfort items.
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America is comprised of 44 Corporate Societies in 43 states and the District of Columbia, with more than 15,200 individual members nationwide. Founded in 1891, the NSCDA is a leader in the field of historic preservation, restoration and the interpretation of historic sites. The National Society headquarters is located at Dumbarton House, a Federal period house museum in Washington, D.C.
The Corporate Societies of the NSCDA currently own 41 diverse properties. Thirty additional properties receive substantial volunteer and financial support from Dames.
In November 2000, the NSCDA received the prestigious Trustee Emeritus Award for Excellence in the Stewardship of historic sites from the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Visit the NSCDA web site...