Mecklenburg County Monuments and Plaques

Sugaw Creek plaque

In 1934, the North Carolina Society of Colonial Dames erected a marker for the first church in Mecklenburg County. Sugaw Creek Presbyterian Church was organized in 1756 with Pastor Alexander Craighead. Dorothy Robinson and Evelyn Henderson unveiled the marker during the celebration of the 178th anniversary of the church. 

Steele Creek tablet news

On August 15th, 1935, the NSCDA-NC unveiled a marker for the 175th anniversary of Steele Creek Presbyterian Church in Charlotte. The Society marked the site to recognize the first building erected by a congregation, organized in 1760.